cover

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Reflection on: Movement Live 31- "I'd rather have a Proverbs 31 woman than a Victoria Secret model"

I know my reflections are normally on Mondays but yesterday was insane for me. I had so many things to do around the house I didn't get a chance to write it. And in a way I am glad I didn't because this morning I ran into a very in sighting link of the movement "Live 31" that started when Alex Eklund wrote on his Facebook Status

 "I'd rather have a Proverbs 31 woman than a Victoria Secret model"

you can see the video where he explains the movement
http://accordingtojan.com/2011/12/09/the-proverbs-31-movement-outside-beauty-is-not-everything/


I really appreciate his video and point of view. As a woman we are constantly bombarded with how we should look, how skinny we should be, along with many social pressures and illogical standards we have to live up to. It is not about the physical, is about the spiritual and moral excellence we should strive for.

Our views and values as a society now a days are completely misplaced, specially when it comes to women.  It is not surprising so many marriages end up in divorce, people are looking for the Hot wife/husband or for those who have money and material possessions rather than looking for someone that will help us grow in our faith and enrich our lives with spiritual goods, someone that can make us laugh, who will give emotional support, etc. Not someone who looks hot in a bikini that you want to show off in front of your friends.

This subject also brings up my mixed feeling about fashion. I studied fashion merchandising and I love everything that has to do with fashion except the fact that they contribute to this deformed standard of beauty for women and society (With models size 0, clothes that don't fit or don't look good in regular healthy women) I was shocked when I saw my 9 year old nice counting calories! what is that? she needs to eat a healthy meal, she is in the growing and developing stage yet she will rather fit in Abercrombie & Fitch clothing than be healthy and grow (and their clothing is ridiculously small, the dress I bought her looks made for a doll not a human being)

In the end is up to us, we need to realize what is important = to strive for spiritual excellence not physical perfection, something that is not easy in the world we live in.

I would love to hear your point of view so feel free to leave a comment ;)




3 comments:

  1. As the lucky husband of an amazing woman who lives this advice daily I couldn't agree with you more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. There is a lot of pressure on women about how they suppose to look and It creats unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete